My Blog has moved!

Thanks for visiting, but my blog has now moved to a new home at www.davidmillard.org, if you have javascript enabled you should automatically be redirected to the right place, if not then please follow the link directly to my new home page.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Launchy

I'm quite bare-bones when it comes to my PC. I go through the damn things like a wrecker ball in PC world and so cant be bothered to personalise them much. As a result I use them pretty much out of the box, so I'm not a big fan of fiddly little productivity apps. However, in the last few days I've come across a neat little utility called Launchy, a very lightweight application launcher, and I'm rather taken by it.

When you press Alt-Space Launchy pops up a command box in the center of the screen and allows you to type common app names to launch them, or set up simple commands (for example to open a web browser at a particular URL). This gives you back some of the productivity we all lost back in 1969 when Doug Engelbart invented the mouse, simultaneously opening up computers to the common person, and slamming the door on the fingers of powerusers everywhere.

I think Launchy has just made it onto the list of apps-that-I-can-be-bothered-to-install-on-the-first-afternoon-with-a-new-machine list. Joining such luminaries as Textpad, Putty, VLC and Paint.Net. Bare-bones compared to some, but those apps are all free and very hard to beat.

No comments: